Internal Affairs (Population, Resources and Construction)

Subject to change.
Boru

Internal Affairs (Population, Resources and Construction)

Post by Boru » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:57 pm

Q – How many people does the average country have in it?

In Shards of Olethros, the population is recorded and controlled by the GM in private. This means that over and under-population related issues will be delivered in your Internal Results section when you’re required to take action.
Your starting population is based on the number of settlements you have and what you have chosen to be the race(s) inside your borders (the more averagely powerful your race, the less population. The GM will have sole discretion on this matter.)

Q – Ok cool, so what signs can I expect to see if there is an issue?

This completely depends on how you run your nation. Imagine one of your town councils suddenly comes to the ruler of your nation stating that there is wide spread hunger in their settlement or perhaps there isn’t enough housing? The effects of overpopulation are possibly the easiest to see where as underpopulation might just be a gradual decline of your tax bill coming from a few settlements.
There are plenty of ways to solve these issues but its up to you to be creative. Perhaps make a under-populated town a tax free zone to encourage trade? Perhaps organising a trade agreement with a local NPN will give your populace the income of food they need? Oer maybe you have enough people to make a new colony?

Q – Ok I have my nation in place, my people ready. Now I need resources to build stuff. How do I go about that?

In SoO there are four main resources that are produced (and spent) every turn.
Wood is produced in Lumber Camps, Stone is produced in Quarries, Iron is produced in Iron Mines and Gold is produced in Gold Mines (in addition to taxation).
Unlike other games, SoO doesn’t record food production or how many farms you control but you are still expected to take food into account when making decisions. For example, unless you have a particularly innovative way to have one, it’ll be impossible to have a city in mountainous terrain without fertile ground nearby. The GM will also be gradually chipping away at the forests and natural terrain in the surrounding area of a settlement to reflect the growth of farmland with rising population.

Q – So can I have as many resource buildings as I want?

No. When you colonise a new settlement you are told in that area how many of each resource building is available to build. The only way to increase that number is by tech increases or population increase. These will be made available when it happens.
If you want to build a resource building not in Turn 0 it takes a turn to construct (See construction rules for more detail).

Q – How much of each resource does each building produce?

Lumber Camps produce 1,000 Wood, Quarries produce 500 Stone, Iron Mines produce 100 Iron, Gold Mines produce 1,000 Gold.

Q – So I have my resources, what can I use them on?

Construction, Recruitment and Production. Plus, you can always use them to trade with other nations. Perhaps a nation nearby has a shortage of wood and you could do with more stone?

Q – How do I construct a building?

In your orders you say what you want to be built and if you have the resources consider it done! Listed below are several generic buildings that can be made along with a cost. If it’s not Turn 0 the construction time applies.
If you want to build something not listed, just pitch it to the GM. If you have the right level of tech, they’ll cost it for you.

Here are a few examples;
Lumber Camp – 5,000 Gold
Quarry – 5,000 Gold
Mines – 5,000 Gold
Fishing Harbour – 2,000 Wood, 1,000 Gold
Stone Wall (Town) (three turns) – 5,000 Stone, 2,000 Gold
Stone Wall (City) (nine turns) – 15,000 Stone, 8,000 Gold
Wooden Wall (Town) (two turns) – 5,000 Wood, 1,000 Gold
Wooden Wall (City) (six turns) – 15,000 Wood, 4,000 Gold
University – 5,000 Stone OR Wood, 5,000 Gold
Granary – 1,000 Wood, 100 Gold